In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 54
Online now 42 Record: 3235 (1/21/2014)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Practice Report – Day 8 – 4/1/13
The day after Easter provided a light beginning to practice, but after stretching finished they quickly got to hitting and walk-throughs. The first team drill was the one-on-ones and there was a good exchange of both sides performing well.
Today marked Thor Jozwiak’s and Ryne Giddins first contact practice. Thor was so excited to finally join his team and thus blocked Clavion Nelson through the whistle. He intends to win back his staring job that he gained last season when Danous Estenor went down. Ryne Giddins was a full participant in drills and is hoping to challenge the DEs above him for more playing time in his senior year. However Juju, Tevin Mims, and Aaron Lynch don't appear that they desire to be on the bench at all.
The onus is on the players to get out at the correct time and get limber and ready for practice. Coaches and players expect that the starters as well as important reserves want to be here and perform. A couple of players didn’t get on the field fast enough and got an earful from a couple coaches.
On Saturday kick-offs were instructed and executed during the scrimmage. Today included the punt team, which drilled how they'd block then take off down field and make the tackle. There isn't a clear cut #1 punter but Chris Veron was taking the long snaps in the punt formation. He has a boot on his non-kicking foot to alleviate a nagging injury.
Marcus Shaw was nursing an ankle this morning and sat out the portion of practice we were able to see. Furthermore, D'vario Montgomery also seemed to be healing his right ankle. He was icing it in a Gatorade tub, which hopefully is not one used for drinking! Even though Montgomery had to sit, it gave Sterling Griffin & Deonte Welch valuable reps as the #2 alongside Andre Davis.
• CB Kenneth Durden, expected to compete for a starting role, was nowhere to be found on the practice field for the second consecutive day. Also Dede Lattimore wasn’t in attendance. Will have more on it when more information is known.
• Defensive backs coach Ron Cooper had his unit working on their backpedal and breaking on routes in front of them.
• Safeties Mark Joyce and JaQuez Jenkins stood out in getting off blocks and making tackles in the 1-on-1 drills.
• RB Willie Davis has made some good runs in those drills as well, patiently waiting for the block to develop in front of him, before gaining a good chunk of yardage.
• The QBs and RBs rehearsed run plays out of the “Strong I” formation and “Weak I” formation.
• The running backs focused on finding cutback lanes on inside zone runs.
• The RBs and FBs also worked on making catches out of the backfield, most notably in the flat on both the “open” and “weak” sides of the field.
• The coaches emphasized these plays in the flat are to be run “into the teeth of the oncoming blitz.”
• In passing situations, the offense focused on plays using “Regular” personnel (2WR-1TE-2RB) and “Posse” personnel (3WR-1TE-1RB) out of a variety of alignments, including the “bunch” alignment.
• “Stick” routes and “dig” routes were some of the more favored route combinations that were being practice today.
• The defensive line worked on attacking the offensive line when there is a “pulling” guard. D-line coach Eric Mathies instructed them to make a “long scoop” move and “cross the face” of the guard.
“Me, me, me! Look at me! It’s all about me!”
-Strength coach Hans Straub berating and mocking defensive back Josh Brown for showing up twenty minutes late for practice.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by MikeTramontell 12 months ago
Half way through Spring Practice.
Seems odd that a guy who was working as a #1 cb would just all of a sudden vanish from practice. Josh, Kyle you heard anything about Durden?
Coach talks prior to practice, so we won't find out till Wednesday.
Could be a big issue, could be something simple like a class or appointment.
For the latest recruiting scoop follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/joshnewberg247
-Reshard Cliett chatting with one of the coaches.
-Players stretching and warming up.
-OL Max Lang
-DL Stefan Kojanovski(61)
-DE Aaron Lynch
-FB Tye Turner
-Some of the defensive lineman standing and waiting for instruction from coach Eric Mathies.
-More players getting loose.
-LB Tashon Whitehurst(51) and the rest of the LB corp. getting coached up by Raymond Woodie.
-USF head coach Willie Taggart looking at each unit with a watchful eye.
-OL Lawrence Martin in good spirits despite being held out for the rest of the spring.
-USF working on punt coverage and special teams.
-QB Bobby Eveld loosening up.
-Another shot of the roster in stretches/warmups.
Kevin and Mike: Awesome report and photos today. Great detail. I am getting excited for the spring game. Keep up the great work, fellas.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by NormalBull 12 months ago
Thank you for the kind words! I try to provide as much insight as I can in the "Notes" and "Quotable" section of the practice report. I hope the other readers enjoy it as well.
Just as heads up though its not spelled Giddens with an "E".. its Giddins..
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports